Friday, May 12, 2006

The Meaning of Wisdom

I know it has been a while since anyone has made any comments on the site, but in lieu of the up coming passage, I would like to present a topic to discuss. If you notice in the next passage of James (James 3:13-18), James asks a question, "Who is wise among you?"

I want us to discuss the same question, only I will phrase it a little differently; here is the question:

How can you tell who is wise?

I think you will find some of the answers in our current passage, James 3:3-18. I am sure this Sunday we will also reference James 1:2-12, as well as various passages in Proverbs describing wisdom.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In James, he talks about 2 different types of wisdom. Someone who is wise listens more than he talks. He knows how to use it also. Our wisdom should come from God. The right way to use it isn't for ourselves but to honor God and show His glory. It isn't to bring honor and fame to youself. So that means all of us should try and glorify God in all that we do.
-Daniel R.

2:18 PM  
Blogger dwilson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:49 PM  
Blogger dwilson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:49 PM  
Blogger dwilson said...

Sorry about the two deletions, I messed up and couldn’t edit them.

It seems that James is presenting the opening question in a way to confront the readers to self examine themselves as a group, but also as individuals before he compares the wisdom of the world with the wisdom from above.
"Who is wise and Understanding?"
Because (to build on chapter 2—“I will show you my faith by my works”) a person who is of faith, one who is righteous, should be living righteously, therefore this person should be the wise among you. His deeds should be peaceable, pure, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, and without hypocrisy.
All of this is built upon first being a believer

12:53 PM  
Blogger Nate Mihelis said...

I like Daniel's comment "someone who is wise listens more than he talks" and I am convicted by it.

Also, following David, I think you can see a person who is wise by how he lives. Wisdom is skillful living before God. Rob did a great job making the connection to faith and works from James 2 this past Sunday.

Nate

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home